Enjoying Iceland in poor weather
You have probably heard of the Icelandic weather?
The weather in Iceland is truly quite temperamental, but not always! Sometimes it is just repeatedly bad for days in a row. You can wake up to sunny day, and then a few minutes later there is a raging snow blizzard. The best thing you can do is to prepare yourself psychologically and acknowledge that bad weather is a fundamental reality here in Iceland.
We have gathered a small list of ideas for you to do during those bad weather days 🙂
- Water – protect sightseeing; Hop-on Hop-off buses
- Visit the biggest flea market in Iceland; Kolaportið. (Note: the market is only open on weekends)
- Go swimming!
- Visit the architectural wonder Harpan
- Land of the Vikings! Spend the day at the museum. You can find array of subjects here: e.g. volcano, whale, settlement, national museums and so on. Very intriguing.
- On Laugavegur shopping street you can find many cozy cafés, delicious bakeries and great restaurants (*must try: Brauð & Co.).
- Visit Kringlan Mall, where most locals do their shopping
- Explore the city from the top of Hallgrímskirkja
- Eat ice cream! The weather does not matter, Icelanders eat ice cream all the time! 🙂
*For all of you travelling to Iceland: we recommend following the forecast on en.vedur.is and see the changes*